Monday, December 7, 2009

First Fit-Fun-Fab!


This blog was born on a treadmill. Having some how survived another Monday, I made my usual trek to the sixth floor of the Yale Club. Tired of the typical slog-fest on the stairmaster or bike. I decided I would hop on the treadmill--looking forward to watching an episode of How I Met Your Mother.


I was bummed to discover that none of the TVs on the treadmill were working. I decided to stick with running though-- to tough it out on the treadmill with only my thoughts, the mirror, and the clock to keep me occupied. About 5 minutes in I was inspired to challenge myself. As a former rower, I used to workout no less than 6 days a week and often twice a day. Now, I count an hour's worth of work as solid effort. The challenge I set myself was to complete 4 miles in under 30 minutes. This is not a tremendous challenge except for the fact that I had already run the first mile in about 8 minutes--there was a lot of ground to make up.


The challenge invigorated and excited me. I'd gotten myself in a rut. Work was draining my energy and I was using it as an excuse for all sorts of things--letting my health, fitness and even (gasp!) fashion fall by the wayside.


The run reminded me that setting goals is what, as an athlete, I live for.


One goal that had long fallen by the wayside was a blog--written and "curated" by my two best friends--my twin, Christine and our college teammate, Karri. That blog--Pearl and baseball hat-- had been born in the midst of Roman Art study sessions and was often a love song to our favorite Art History professor Diana E. E. Kleiner.


That blog was somewhat limited by the scope of the world we lived in--namely college and the fact that as varsity athletes there were a number of subjects that couldn't be discussed less we break the team code of silence.


Now as recent post-grads, we find ourselves free of these "shackles" but now adrift-- lost without our teammates and each other's constant presence.

This blog is a celebration of the lifestyle Karri, Christine and I love. It revolves around making healthy choices, dressing well, reading a lot and being generally silly.


Here's to being fit, fun and fabulous!


xoxoxo

ljg

No comments:

Post a Comment