Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Nummers!

Last night without even knowing it I fulfilled my assigned task-to cook in a very fitfunfab manner.

I had some time last evening- and decided that I would fill my evening with a workout followed by some cooking. Some days my life is soooo Greenwichy I am appalled at myself. So before heading to the gym I looked in my Martha Stewart "Good Food Fast Book" for inspiration. I turned to the winter section and saw a recipe for lentil soup. I was intrigued... I of course remembered the insipid and growdy lentil soup served in Yale dining halls. However, I also had often heard of the many redeaming healthy qualities of "lentils". It was cold and the picture in the cook book was tres inviting so I committed to making some soup.

My caveat before I post this recipe- Karri you won't like it! That's because it involves bacon- HUZZAH! I even put more bacon in this because I wanted to (which probably negates the healthy qualities- but whatevs).

This is a hale and hearty soup- perfect for snuggling up under a blanket post a workout!

Martha Stewart w/ some CBG additions Lentil Soup

4 Pieces of Bacon
One large Onion (chopped)
3-4 Med. Carrots (sliced)
3-4 Mushrooms (sliced)
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 teaspoon of Dried Thyme
2-3 bay leaves
3 1/2 cups of Chicken Stock
1 1/2 cups of lentils
2 cups of water
1 Tablespoon of red Wine Vinegar
2 Table Spoons of Tomato Paste

In a big pot- sautee the bacon until nice and brown and crisp (8-10 min).
When the bacon is done pour out all but 1 tablespoon of bacon fat (leave the bacon in the pot)
Add the onion, the carrots, and the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes ( till onions are browned)
Add the garlic and cook for 30 secs ("until fragrant" says Martha)
Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute
Add the lentils (supposed to be rinsed and "picked through" but whatevs I did not), the water, and the chicken stock. Also add the bay leaves and thyme. Let it come to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 to 45 minutes.
Watch the pot-the soup gets too thick add some water to thin it out!
When it is done add the vinegar ( be pretty liberal with this it adds a lot of flavor)

Serve immediatly with some crusty bread and parmesan cheese. Cuddle up with a glass of red wine and a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment